Introduction: Established in 1927, the Marshall Society is the Economics Society of the University of Cambridge. The competition invites pre-university students to write a convincing and well-structured essay related to economic theories.
Competition Format: Participants are to submit an essay response to one of the following questions:
- Economies are facing soaring inflation rates despite tepid growth, which commentators have attributed to various causes. Discuss what you think the appropriate policies are to address fears of ‘stagflation’.
- ‘Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has already altered the global economy.’ Discuss.
- Today’s globalised economy is vulnerable to shocks from multifarious sources. From whence will the next major recession come?
- What are the likely economic effects of blockchain technology in the next decade?
- ‘Public goods can be provided by the private sector.’ Discuss.
- Evaluate an economic policy recently implemented by a country that of your choice and discuss its short- and long-run consequences.
Competition Website: LINK
Other Writing Contest you may be interested in: Guide to YoungArts Writing Competition