Introduction: Tom Howard/John H. Reid Fiction & Essay Contest is created by Winning Writers, the organization finding and creating quality resources for poets and writers. Winning Writers is one of the “101 Best Websites for Writers” (Writer’s Digest, 2015-2019). For this contest, a story is any short work of fiction, and an essay is any short work of nonfiction. Students can submit as many entries as they prefer. The final judge is Mina Manchester, is an Editor-at-large at Five South and former Assistant Editor for Narrative Magazine.
- Please submit during October 15, 2023-May 1, 2024
- The results of our 32nd contest will be announced on October 15, 2024
Essay limit: 6,000 words
Entry Fee: $20
- Story (Any short work of fiction): First Prize, $3,000
- Essay (Any short work of nonfiction): First Prize, $3,000
- The top two winners will also receive two-year gift certificates from our co-sponsor, Duotrope (a $100 value)
- 10 Honorable Mentions will receive $300 each (any category)
- Top 12 entries will be published online
Competition Website: For overall information about the organization and the competition, click here.