Introduction: The Ocean Awareness Contest provides a platform for young people to understand environmental issues through artistic creation and creative thoughts, explore their relationship with the changing world, and become advocates of positive change.
Competition Theme: The 2024 Ocean Awareness Competition theme is “ Tell Your Climate Story.”
Category: Art, Creative Writing, Film, Interactive & Multimedia, Performing Arts: Music & Dance, Poetry & Spoken Word
Submission Guideline: Students may submit one entry per category, meaning that you may enter up to six pieces, one in each category. If you submit more than one entry in a category (for example, two poems), additional entries will not be counted or judged. In addition to the essay submission, students are required to submit a reflection. Your reflection, which is minimum 100 words, should describe 1) your creative process and 2) what you have learned through your exploration of the Ocean Awareness Contest theme. Use the following questions to guide your writing:
- What inspired your work and creative process?
- Why are you interested in the arts?
- What feelings did the process of creating (art, writing, film, music, dance, interactive/multimedia) raise for you?
- What is your message to viewers of your artwork?
- After doing research on climate change and our oceans, what have you learned?
- Beyond individual actions like recycling, what actions will you collectively engage in with your community to tackle climate change?
- How does this Climate Hero’s efforts make you feel about the future?
Student Age: Select the division based on your age at the time of entry. Students ages 11-14 are eligible for the Junior division; those ages 15-18 are eligible for the Senior division. If you are entering the Contest as a group of mixed-age students, we suggest you enter the division based on the age of the student who will be the primary contact.
Competition Website: LINK