Introduction: Write the World, developed by David Weinstein – who’s currently working at Harvard University, is dedicated to improving the writing of high school students through a global online community and guided interactive process. The monthly competition is developed around a particular idea or genre of writing, such as poetry, fantasy, sports journalism, or flash fiction. Through multiple competitions throughout the year, students are encouraged to develop their voices, refine their editing skills, and publish on an international platform. Write the World helps students develop the writing strategies and communication tools essential for success in school, career, and life. Students have the opportunity to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting your final piece.
Competition List: Write the World currently have 11 competitions running throughout the year with different deadlines. The list of competitions are:
- Personal Narrative: How does the climate crisis impact you? – Deadline: October 18, 2022
- Novel Competition: Create a new world – Deadline: November 22, 2022
- Mini Competition: People’s Choice – Deadline: December 6, 2022
- Poetry Competition: Your origins – Deadline: January 17, 2023
- Song Writing Competition: Our generation’s rallying call – Deadline: February 21, 2023
- Opinion Writing Competition: Your turn – Deadline: March 21, 2023
- Poetry & Spoken Word Competition: Particles of life – Deadline: April 18, 2023
- Creative Nonfiction Competition: Sources of sustenance – Deadline: May 1, 2023
- Letter Writing Competition: Words of thanks – Deadline: June 20, 2023
- Creative Nonfiction Competition: Transitions – Deadline: July 18, 2023
- Flash Fiction Competition: A story in your pocket – Deadline: August 22, 2023
Prizes: The winning entrant receives $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer receive $50.