Introduction: Young Reporters for the Environment Competition is operated by Foundation for Environmental Education. YRE gives young people aged 11-25 a platform to research environmental issues and promote solutions through investigative reporting, photography, and video journalism.
Competition Structure: There are three ways to participate in the YRE International Competition: General YRE International Competition, Litter Less Campaign Competition, and International Collaboration
- General YRE International Competition: open to participants from all countries that run the YRE program.
- Litter Less Campaign Competition: Parallel to the International Competition is the Litter Less Campaign Competition that is open to the following countries currently participating in the Litter Less Campaign: Australia, New Zealand, China, India, Wales, Spain, Northern Ireland, Malta, France, Brazil, and Ireland.
- International Collaboration: open to participants in all countries! We recommend that submissions are related to pollution, biodiversity loss and/or climate change and show a clear connection to one or more Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Submission: The YRE International Competition accepts submissions from three media categories: articles, photographs, and videos.
- Article – max 3 entries (1 for each age group: 11-14 years, 15-18 years, 19-25 years).
- Single Reportage Photo – 1 entry, regardless of the age.
- Single Environmental Campaign Photo – 1 entry, regardless of the age.
- Photo Story of 3-5 Photos – 1 entry, regardless of the age.
- Video – 3 entries (1 for each age group: 11-14 years, 15-18 years, 19-25 years), regardless of the type of video.
- International Collaboration – all entries are welcome – simply ensure that only one country uploads the submission.
Entries from International Schools must be submitted by 19 April 2024. The International Jury will meet at the end of June. Results will be announced on, or no later than, June 28th 2024.
Prizes: The winners will receive diplomas and the winning entries will be published internationally on online platforms such as Medium, We Don’t Have Time and Youth Climate report (for videos only). The 1st place winners will also be published on the YRE International website.
Competition Website: For more information about the competition, click here.