The National Mythology Exams comprise two tests: the Pegasus Mythology Exam designed for students in grades 3-8, and the Medusa Mythology Exam for those in grades 9-12.
These exams are available to all students interested in classical mythology and are administered annually to over 9,000 students in about 400 schools worldwide.
The Medusa Mythology Exam was established in 1998 to recognize and acknowledge students’ excellence and passion for Greco-Roman mythology, as well as to encourage their pursuit of the subject. It also aims to enhance their understanding of the ancient world and its impact on contemporary society. While the exam’s content changes each year to reflect a unique theme, it consistently covers a broad array of ancient Greco-Roman mythological topics and characters, including those that have historically been underrepresented, such as the stories of mythological women.
Cost: Registration and shipping fee is $15 – Each test is an additional $5 ($4.00 for current ACL Members).
- Perfect paper: Certificate + gold medal
- Summa cum laude: gold medal + printable certificate
- Maxima cum laude: silver medal + printable certificate
- Magna cum laude: (listed as bronze on results report) ribbon + printable certificate
- Cum laude: printable certificate
- Exam Registration: September 1, 2022 – January 31, 2023
- Medusa Exam Administration: March 21, 2023 – April 8, 2023
- Pegasus Exam Administration: February 14, 2023 – March 4, 2023