The course is designed to help students gain a deeper understanding of the United States before they arrive. We will actively participate in discussions in the classroom, explore and learn American culture with teachers, and enhance our understanding of the United States. We will investigate the diversity of the American culture and the influence of different cultural backgrounds that shaped it. Students will be encouraged to share their perspectives and experiences and think critically about the cultural phenomena we will be studying.
After completing the course, students are expected to reach the following goals:
- Clarify why you came to the United States to study and deepen your ultimate goal
- Understand what the challenges are after coming to the United States and how to deal with the various challenges that may arise
- Master some good study habits and improve time management ability
- Better integrate into local culture, get along with host family or roommates, and adapt to campus life
- Possess critical thinking, leadership and teamwork spirit
Students and their parents will receive brief feedback after each class regarding the student’s general participation in class. Students will also receive feedback on graded assignments via email. At the end of the course, the student will receive a final report card, which thoroughly speaks to their overall participation in the course, including major assignments.