Psychology has been a popular major in recent years. Psychology is divided into four major branches: cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, experimental psychology, industrial-organizational psychology.
Aralia Education proudly introduces a psychology research program for students with a previous foundation in psychology. Students will gradually learn psychology concepts and theories, research methods, citation formats, etc., and finally, complete an 8-15 pages research paper.
In this project, students will have the opportunity to explore social psychology – the study of human thoughts and connections with other people – and how these interactions affect us and our daily lives.
Students will also explore developmental psychology, which is how and why we change throughout our lives. For example, are your interests today the same as five years ago? In addition, we will also introduce the basic knowledge of research methods and APA writing format.
This second part of the course allows students to focus on an area of psychology that interests them the most. The professor will guide the student through an empirical review of current psychological literature. The course structure follows the steps of scientific inquiry, and will cover the following:
- What is empiricism; what sets it apart from other kinds of knowledge?
- What makes scientific writing different from other kinds of writing?
- How to develop a research idea based on psychological theory
- Forming a research hypothesis or question
- Finding, reviewing and summarizing empirical research, using peer-reviewed psychological literature (provided by the professor)
- How to write a literature review and annotated bibliography
Halfway through the course, students will submit a draft of a review of the literature paper for peer review, and for detailed feedback from the professor. Students will revise this draft for a final paper that can serve as both a writing sample and an example of an empirical review of scientific literature.
- Produce a research paper of 8-15 pages
- If required in the university application, the professor can provide a letter of recommendation
- A final academic report from the teacher
- Aralia’s Certificate of Completion
Course Introduction and expectations
Social Psychology: Attitudes and Violent Attacks
Social Psychology: Social Identity and Social Influence
Social Psychology: Prosocial and Group Behavior
Developmental Psychology: Learning Theory
Developmental Psychology: Emotional Development
Research method: select article and APA format
Research Method: Practice the APA format
Students and their parents will receive brief feedback after each class, via Teachworks, regarding the student’s general participation in class. Students will also receive feedback on graded assignments via email. At the end of the course, the student will receive a final report card, which thoroughly speaks to their overall participation in the course, including major assignments.
25 hours of classes, including 10 hours of group lessons and 5 hours of one-on-one lessons